A CMI Institution
The CMI Order was started in 1831 by a group of priests of the Syro-Malabar Church, led by Blessed Kuriakose Elias Chavara (1805-1871). This first indigenous religious congregation in India did pioneering work in the field of education, without distinction of caste or creed.
Beginning with the first Catholic Sanskrit School in Kerala in 1846 and the first primary school eighteen years later, the congregation has built up a vast network of schools and colleges all over India. A distinguishing feature of these educational institutions is that they draw inspiration from the life of Jesus Christ as also from the sages and prophets of our land and are deeply rooted in its culture.
We are convinced that the aim of all education is the formation of the human person for the fulfillment of his individual and social responsibilities. Christian education further aims at his growth into manhood according to the mature measure of Christ. Conscious of these aims of human and Christian education we try to give an excellent and all-round formation to the students in our educational institutions. We concentrate more on quality than on quantity and foster good inter-personal relations. In this process, we are conscious that our exemplary life always remains the most important factor in our educational apostolate.
Considering the fact that in education we share the responsibility of the nation, we make special efforts to co-ordinate our educational activities with the aims and goals of the nation so that our students may grow up as responsible citizens fully involved in the task on nation-building.
It is with these twin aims that we have entered the field of education and run more than a hundred schools, about thirty colleges including professional colleges and a deemed university. Being convinced of the importance of education in the modern world and keeping alive the legacy inherited from our founder, Blessed Kuriakose Elias Chavara, who was a pioneer in the field of education in Kerala, almost one third of the members of the Congregation are engaged in this apostolate.